CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Monday, December 29, 2008

Pilates


Well, still no baby news, so I will write about other facets of my life that are exhilarating and exciting.

I have been teaching Pilates now for about two years. I started taking Pilates in NJ, and I think at the time it was more of a Classical approach. When we moved South, I was looking for something to challenge me, since with my background and being very physical, I have to be challenged or I get bored. I looked for a studio, and found a small one only a few minutes away from my home.

I started taking classes and was hooked. The approach they used was Contemporary, and it was something different every day. It wasn't long before I was looking into their internship program. I jumped in and started interning, and doing self study and working out, trying to complete the requisite hours needed to teach. After about seven months, I had finished and began teaching.

It was a thrill to be in front of a class leading them, encouraging them, pushing them. I likened it to the training I had done years ago in the gym, except that was one on one, where this was more of a group setting.
After a while, things happened here and there, which put some distance between me and the owner and after two years there, in October I chose to leave.

True we did have a lot going on, but that is not why I left. Suffice it to say, that sometimes you think you know someone, and then you find out that you never really knew them at all.

I happened to be driving past another studio close by and stopped, asking if they were looking for help. She was, and after a couple of observation hours and a short audition class, I was in.

I have to say this is daunting to me, for one reason only. She is so much better than the owner of the other studio. She is so good, it is freaky. I have watched many classes over the last few months. She kicks ass every time. She uses all her equipment and encourages use of Bosu, Foam Roller, small props..so it is a more well rounded class. Period.

I took my PMA Exam about three weeks ago and passed. Whooohooo! http://pilatesmethodalliance.com/

Next up for me is more training in Miami, in the Spring. I am seeking out her previous teacher, because I want to learn all I can, thus making me a more valuable teacher.

Wish me Luck

0 comments: