CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Monday, December 29, 2008

Some Sad News










I was a competitive bodybuilder for many years, starting in 1978 and competing in my first contest in 1981. In my travels I had met many wonderful people associated with the sport, and some not so nice. I even went on to write for FLEX Magazine for a while under the tutelage of Bill Reynolds, who passed away in the early 1990's. It is not something i talk of often, because really what's to say? I trained my ass off and dieted for many many years. (Which is probably why now I have no interest in either thing that much!)

Kenny Kassel (above)passed this past week, at his home in NJ, and while I hadn't talked with him in years he will always be remembered fondly. He was a great ambassador of the sport, and for years did promotional work, eventually sending me out to NY on some gigs for modeling. I wasn't really into it, after having competed for so many years, and eventually dropped out of that world all together.

I don't recall missing the bodybuilding world all that much. But I will miss the thought of Kenny. What is ironic is just this past week, I was searching for him on Facebook, hoping to reconnect with him. So sad for me that I will never get to tell him, what a difference he made in my life.

Kenny, if you are up there...Thanks and I'll miss you!"

Another bodybuilding friend, Steve Stone (picture on right) also died this year. I had no idea, until I had read a blurb in a magazine, prompting me to google him on the Internet. I met Steve while working for Flex and did a two page story on him for the magazine. He was likable and friendly and although we lost contact, he is another person from my old days of bodybuilding, who will be sorely missed.



0 comments: