CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Monday, December 8, 2008

Extreme Makeover- St. Thomas Edition Part 1

My husband and I arrived at the airport on Thursday headed to St. Thomas, USVI. We were hoping for a few days of reconnecting with each other, in between helping out some close family friends who have a house there, that was in need of some minor repairs. We had with us, a 3 x 5 skylight, that we were told could be boarded and stowed. Wrong. After getting it out of the car, paying the man to bring it in, and fighting with Spirit Airlines finest, they told us that under no uncertain terms could it go. My husband had to run it back ( I don't know how you run with a 3x5 skylight) to the car, and then run back to the terminal. He got there just as we were to board.

Unfortunately, it turned into something much more. Anytime you have a renter, you have issues after that renter has vacated the premises. Given that the house is well over twenty years old, there was just a lot of work to be done, in not a lot of time. I was clear we were not going to be lounging on the beach at all.

I liken working on the house, to when you pull a piece of string from a piece of clothing, hoping to just get rid of the little string, only to have the who garment unravel and fall apart. It seemed to be, that the minute we attempted to fix something, something else then fell apart.

My husband, poor thing, we on the roof for the majority of Friday fixing the skylight, with ...no skylight! The one thing we needed was in Ft. Lauderdale at the airport, so he had to go to Home Depot, ( Lovely people working there but they don't know a thing about Home Improvement) and get the assorted things necessary to try and replace/repair it. A Mickey Duffy, job if you will...Irish Definition: meaning half assed repair job. In the end it worked, but what a job, creating something from nothing. He is a genius.

I did go to the beach for a short time on Friday, knowing it was probably better for me to not be there for the w hole skylight episode, but felt guilty and called him about an hour after having been there to pick me up.

I painted numerous things, (really a miracle as my husband does not let me usually do any household repair things) cabinet, door mouldings, and the front door which was in bad shape. We scraped and sanded and primed, and plastered it...and a day later it was finished. White and a butter yellow color, very pretty, if I do say so myself.

I got some dark brown,, glossy spray paint and gave some old wicker chairs a much
needed face lift, as well as two wicker wastebaskets.

I do love to spray paint. I missed my calling as a gang member...tagging and marking items with secret messages and codes...so instead I rejuvenate old and worn out household items.

But my proudest moment was taking apart the handles of the fridge, and getting appliance spray paint to cover the stains on them. I don't know, (judging by the condition of these handles) if the previous tenant, ever washed their hands..bleach wouldn't even take it out! Truly disgusting.

The house was so adorable and cute when it's owners lived there, giving it a cute and homey feel. I think the house was sad they weren't there anymore....it's misses them , as much as they miss the island....

0 comments: