CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Monday, December 15, 2008

Josh Kilmer-Purcell's "I Am Not Myself These Days"




This book ...where do I start??I picked it up, honestly because I am sold a lot by the cover. I know that is completely lame, but it is true.
I liked the title and the colors and the little fish, and had already decided to buy it when I flipped to the back for the once over. The captions read "Heartbreaking, funny, great writing, etc.. so I was sold. Of course anyone who knows me, knows I do not like to cry reading books. I used to belong to a book club, that only chose books that made you cry, or they were so completely boring they would make you cry because you couldn't get through them. My test is simple. I read for a bit. I put the book down. If go back...that is the real test. So many times I have picked up books. Good books, heck great books, books people implore me to read. And if I don't go back after reading the first Chapter. I'm done.
I have some of these books, with half turned down page corners, still sitting on a shelf waiting for me to rescue them from the boring book graveyard. Never gonna happen my friend.
Josh's book ( he made me his friend on facebook- yeah!) is so good, it is startling. The writing is clear and dramatic ...and I'm obsessed with his style. His life...completely crazy, but in a nice boy way. He is a drag queen, and he writes from inside of his lonely, but colorful queen world, and also writes beautifully about his other life...the normal 9-5 life which he carries on, in the midst of hyper insanity. Just reading about the hours he kept made me want to take naps. It also gave me a strange craving for vodka, a drink I never drink but one that Josh used to soothe his soul, and keep him company. Hell it might have even been his best friend.
I won't tell you the ending...you have to get the book to find out. but this is one book I read cover to cover in one day, on my horrible work slave trip to St. Thomas. ( I did get breaks and read at night after we were done!)That is how much I wanted to finish it!
Check him out at:
See book cover and cutie pie picture at the top of post.

0 comments: