CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Wednesday, February 4, 2009

Revolutionary Road

Yesterday, I sat down and wrote what I believe to be one of many letters to the head of Legislature here in good ole' Florida, regarding adoption.

I asked that the Head Of Legislature assign someone, to review the law as it stands today regarding adoption and what is deemed necessary as far as birth mother expenses go. I asked them to review and reconsider the laws already in place. In light of the economy, and after having been told that the number of failed placements has risen, leading one to believe that people are signing on for a free ride with no intention of placing, that it should be regarded as a criminal act to knowingly take money from people without follwing through.

I know people have the right to change their minds. However, I as a paying customer should have protection under the law and be able to put my money in escrow for safe keeping. If the birth mother at the end chooses not to place she doesn't get paid.

I'm not saying not to compensate the birth moms at all, but there should be a cap, as to how much one is required by law to pay.

The letter, will be mailed out each week, until I hear some sort of response. I'm not stopping until I do.

2 comments:

spencer said...

I think the letter you wrote sounds well-worded and long overdo!

Please post when you get a response because I am very interested in "the man's" take on this whole sham.

So sorry that you had to get so hurt in the process.

Natalia Ritchie said...

I agree with you totally! I am actually shocked that the money is not placed in an interest bearing account (like a house deposit) until the placement is through. Otherwise, of course this will happen over and over again.
But you are right, it is theft. Not all women who give their babies for adoption have this in mind, of course not (most just want to find a home for their baby), but there are enough criminals out there, and enough victims such as yourself that will be taken advantage of, since all you have is hope.
I know regarding surrogacy, there is a cap in Canada. Though this means that there are fewer women willing to be a surrogate, it means that those women are doing it for the right reasons. It's not a lot of money, compared to the numbers I've seen in the States, but I think it really uncomplicates the issue. It says to the world, this is not about money. Surrogacy is not about money. Neither is adoption.