CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Monday, June 1, 2009

A Suprise and then a Miracle..

As my last post stated, I had been in search of a miracle. No not the lottery although that would be nice, and I'd love to win. I wasn't looking for something religous, because here in South Florida I can find that on any street corner. People praying and overflowing with gods words, here in god's country..not that I have anything against it, I just dont want it crammed down my throat 24/7. My feelings and spiritual enlightening come from a place, that doesn't necessarily come from a church or from people talking about it, obsessing about it, or trying to convince me otherwise.

After my conversation with the lawyer a week or two passed without any confirmation of the intended birth mother situation. I had again, started to lay those hopes and dreams aside and focus on what my life might be without a child. After all I had gone this long, without one.

The days passed and on Wednesday afternoon I received a call at the Chicken Shop . It was our lawyer. She needed to speak asap and was I in a private place?

I took the phone into the restroom where she began to tell me that a baby boy had been born that morning in *******, FL. Did we want him? I went blank, and then said "Let me talk to David" She rattled off some health information and information regarding the mother, and I hung up stunned. Now? Right now a baby? I asked my husband to come sit at the table.

"The lawyer called. There is a baby. It is a boy and he was born this morning. We would have to be there Friday, and someone has to stay three weeks. He is the NICU. Born at 33 weeks. Do we want him? "We both stareda t each other in disbelief.

We went over logistics. Who could stay? Who would run the business back home? It was decided we would go to the lawyer the next morning with our decision. As we thought about it, mulled it over..it was shocking that after chasing something for so long, it was being handed to us overnight.

I called the birth mother that evening and we had a very nice, candid conversation She was not unlike the other birth moms, wounded, low self esteem, and no hope for the future. She wanted to do the right thing for him, to give him every opportunity that she herself could not. I thanked her, asked her if she needed anything. She declined anything and just said "Love him, and let him know that I loved him too. "

We received an email from the lawyer with his picture sent via the birth mom in the hospital. He was tiny, maybe four pounds, and was adorable. We were hooked from the moment we saw him.

We made plans to go to the hospital on Friday which was a few hours away. On our way, we talked about many things. The failing economy, the weather, would make it on time, and we struggled to stay positive. This was after all, a placement where she still could change her mind. As we neared the facility, my husband was convinced that it would not happen. We parked the car and nervously held each others hands as we entered the hospital. He ran to the rest room, and then the phone rang. On the other end, I could hear the social workers voice.

"Shes signing right now, stay where you are I'll come and get you". I smiled as I put the phone down. Just then my husband walked out of the rest room. He looked at me, and I said"She signed them". He got weak in the knees and went ghost white. I thought for a moment that he would pass out, but he steadied himself on the wall, and took a deep breath.

One journey over. Another new one beginning.

As we went upstairs to meet the birth mom, we were in shock, disbelief. I saw her standing in the waiting room. She was waiting to meet us. She surveyed my husband and I both carefully and then reached out to hug me.

Pulling back, she said"Do you want to meet your son? " Entering the NICU is a process, and after checking in, and getting clearance, we scrubbed down much in the way a surgeon would before an operation.

I went into the NICU with her leading the way. We came upon a small incubator, and the little infant laying inside was pink , and calm. I peered in. I turned to her and thanked her. She said "Good luck with him", and walked out to get my husband.

My husband came slowly down the isle and was looking from side to side. The noise level inside a NICU is palpable, overwhelming at first. He reached where I was standing and we both just looked into the isolet.

After years of disappointment and despair, we had come full circle.

Staring at our little boy...we couldn't help but think, that maybe in order for us to get what we truly wanted, we had to lose almost everything else in the process.

May 13, 2009 our son was born, and on May 15, 2009 he became ours.

We are forever grateful.

7 comments:

Nadine said...

oh my god - I so didnèt expect this such great news, sent chills down my spine! (and your son shares the birthday with my husband). congrats!! (and I deleted my blog but I am ceating another)

Sarah Andrews said...

OMG!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

LISA!!!! CONGRATS!!!!!!! I am all tears after reading your miracle. After all of it, you have your beautiful boy. And I bet you say now that after it all, he was so WORTH every struggle. Many many blessings Mama!

Natalia Ritchie said...

OH MY GOD!!!!!!!!!!!

I am speechless. This is the best news I could ask for today. What a miracle, what a shock. I am so proud of you lady, since I know it was a struggle. But, hey, SO worth it!!

We want pics. congrats mommy!!

Anonymous said...

I've been reading your blog for months now. I cannot tell you how happy I am for you guys. I've read your struggles and how you've handled them with spirit and grace. This is so amazing. Enjoy him!! You deserve it.

Anonymous said...

Oh my goodness, I had chills and tears welling up at the same time!

I am so very thankful and excited for you three - I just know in the end all of the trials and tribulations that you have been through will have been worth it to watch your new son learn and grow.

Just love that little boy to pieces and we all can't wait to see photos!

Jen

Courtney said...

This made me cry!! Congratulations on your little boy.

Mrs. Tater Tot said...

Lisa,

What an amazing story. I'm in tears and am so haooy for you! Enjoy him - time flies!

MAC